With Caulfield Grammarians newly promoted to U19 Premier, Old Xaverians were favoured to win this first round contest. However, the Red and Blacks trailed at the first change, despite a strong first term.
There was no frustration in the second term, as the Xavs slotted six goals to take a lead to the half.
After the long break, the Red and Blacks went again, defying blustery conditions and extending their lead to over six goals at the lemons.
They added another four goals in the last term to win comfortably by 49 points.
Sam Shaw gets the win in his first time out as U19 coach, but will be seeking improvement from his charges in the weeks ahead.
- A good four quarter effort but unable to put scoreboard pressure on early while adjusting to the conditions.
- Strong attack on the ball all day from James Hess and Jeremy Power.
- Sam Ralph's end-to-end running on the wing all day rewarded with an absolute bomb on goal right on 3 qtr time.
- Sean Stanley cutting some serious angles to get front and square to the ever-improving Tom Williamson, whose follow-up work in the ruck was a big feature.
- Will "Wall" Mantesso across half back, along with Sam Proud, annoying every opposing forward who crossed him, were strong in defence.
- A couple of massive goal-saving efforts from Nick Fox.
- Teddy O'Brien's rub down from the physios (conveniently taking up his entire warm-up) proved pivotal, with a couple of strong contested grabs helping him kick a bag.
- Jack Gilbert, for the second week running, slotting a set shot from the arc on the boundary - building into a Double Cobra celebration moment again.